Did you get engaged over the holidays?? Or do you know someone who just did?? Engagement season is such a short, but fun, time in your life!! So why not celebrate your engagement and this part of your life together, as you plan for the day you say I Do with an engagement session? You deserve to get all dressed up and enjoy time together while you get gorgeous photos to share with your family and friends for years to come! We still have ones hanging in our house and absolutely LOVE them!!!
I know your first thought once you book your session is: What should we wear?? So I thought I would take some time to share 10 best tips as you plan for your session!
Photo from our engagement session by Epic Photography
1. Splurge a little and get your hair and make up done. You deserve to feel beautiful during your session (which I know you already do!!) but why not add a little more that you don’t do on a normal basis! Go feel pampered and then wow your fiancé when you see him for the session! Get something from harrychadent.com/collections/solitaire-with-accents. It will add a little extra special touch to the session!
2. Don’t be afraid to add layers. When a guy adds a blazer, vest, or coat to his outfit, it adds so much more dimension to each photo. I know it may not be a normal, but when you see the end result, you will be so happy you sacrificed a little discomfort and did it!
3. Don’t match perfectly. When you are picking your colors, make sure you each have a dominate color, but stay within the same color palette family. For example, if you have on a blush dress and blue earring, then your fiancé could wear a blue shirt or coat with tan pants. Then you each have a dominate color but his is complementing your accent!
4. Add a statement! A simple accent can go a long way! Pairing a bold necklace with a simple dress can not only add a pop of color but also help bring some extra dimension to your images. You don’t only have to think about necklaces, brackets, or earrings; it can also be florals in a crown or bouquet! Why not add a little fun?
5. Dress up! There is never a thing called “too dressed up!” Just like your hair and makeup, why not get all dolled up in a fun cocktail or maxi dress with a pair of heels?! Pair that with your fiancé in a suit, and you two will be dynamite in every shot!
6. Bring two outfits. I’m sure you both don’t normally get that dressed up, so why not start the session in a little more of a casual dress and then finish it off with a bang! Not only will you feel more comfortable to start if the session, but then you will have even more variety in your photos!
7. Don’t get a spray tan. Although it may seem like this would be a perfect idea, I would actually recommend to hold off! In photos, it can actually tend to photograph or angle even when correctly applied! You are beautiful just they way you are so own it!
8. Add some movement. I love to keep my couples moving so that each pose isn’t stagnant, so if one of your dresses is a long flowing skirt, we will have even more fun swishing it around and adding movement into each of your photos!
9. Feel confident! You already look gorgeous, so if you feel confident, it just adds an extra touch to every photo! I promise I’ll position you and your fiancé in the best way to flatter you two! So all you need to enjoy your time is your man and also bring along your smile…because that is the number one accessory you can wear!
10. And the last tip, don’t forget to clean your ring!! This will be the star of the show out of everything you are wearing, so make sure it is sparkling when you come!! I love to take tons of ring shots and put it in the spotlight!! Don’t forget about your nails because they will be in those closeup shots, too!
~XOXO Heather Marie